Paisley Sweetheart

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Now that is some console chic...

Boyhowdy was this media console a process!!  Let me ramble for just a moment... I was laying in my bed one morning and heard a strange thump.  It didn't seem spooky, more like a weird house creak, so I went back to sleep.  A little later, I woke well rested and ready to finish the console.  Last sanding was finished and final coat awaited...  I was pumped and ready to work.  I walked into the garage and noticed a hole in my line of sight where Fire Jack's bike used to hang from the ceiling.  Strange, but whatever.  I walked around my car and let out a massive gasp and then several explicatives... FIRE JACK'S BIKE HAD FALLEN ON MY FRESHLY PAINTED PROJECT!!  My heart broke when I saw the scratches on the top and sides...guess the bike took a real tumble.  Luckily, there was no major damage... so it took a little longer than expected.  Ugh!!

Okay, so that is the drama.  Now, how my beautiful console came to be...  I wanted our media console to be a statement in "the cave".  Color was going to be super important!!  Enter Glidden's Lucky Shamrock.  It is a vibrant, welcoming green.  It truly pops in our living room.  At night, the green becomes surprisingly rich.

I started by sanding and priming.  Nothing spectacular.  I put nails in the drawer holds so the holes didn't disappear when I painted.  I sanded in between each cost to make sure it was nice and smooth.  I decided to only paint a thin coat in the swirls.  It covered but didn't completely mask the original gold tones.  I slathered on four total coats.  If you count the areas that were injured by a flying bike, some areas have a whopping 8 coats... ouch!  Nonetheless, the paint turned out spectacular I must say.



After the painting and emergency touch ups, I let the console dry about 2 1/2 days.  It was super humid during this project, so I wanted to make sure it was cured properly.

During this time, I searched for authentic French Provincial drawer pulls.  The hardest part of the search was making a decision without breaking the bank.  Then look what I found at Ansaldi and Sons....


So perfect!!  The drawer holes were 2 1/2 center to center which was completely odd, so I was super excited when I found these babies... They arrived in about a week, and the customer service was top notch!  Big kuddos!

I put the pulls on as soon as I could.  Well, like I said earlier, this project was a process...  Fire Jack brought the media console in, we centered in the space, then gently put on our TV.  So where is the cable box going to go??  Okay, don't panic.  Time for an audible, Peyton style... how about a riser??

Just so happens we were getting rid of an old TV stand in our office.  With a little cutting, I had this little guy to work with.


By no means was this going to work on top of our Lucky Shamrock console.  Luckily, I had some leftover paint.  A sanding we a go...

After sanding and three coats of paint, I wanted to add some flavor to our riser.  I found some super cute and trendy trellis paper in a navy and cream color scheme at my favorite place, Hobby Lobby.  Grabbed the Modge Podge  and worked some magic.  Here is how it turned out...


I was very pleased with how the riser turned out and would be more than happy to add it to the console.

Let's see, painted, drawer pulls, riser... is it ready??!!  Wait for it...... Say hello to my delicious media console!




Yummy!  WOW!!  This piece came a long way (check out the original post)...
So whatcha think?  A statement or what?! :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment