Paisley Sweetheart

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Adding a little spice...

Our new house has an all neutral template...tans, creams, and so forth... Our kitchen was just begging me for more color!  I had already purchased some super fun (and of course bright) towels, but that only packed a small punch.  Still begging for more...hmmm...put the thinking cap on...

I was driving through my neighborhood and noticed a pile of small wood items on the curb.  My curiosity got the best of me, and I had to stop.  Low and behold, sitting in the pile, was a cute (but drab) spice rack.  Being the frugal gal I am, I usually do not pass up free.  So, in the trunk it went.  Fire Jack at this point thought I was crazy!  What in the world was I going to do with this sad spice rack...But since it was free, he had no complaints...

When I got home, I wasn't too sure if I was going to use it for a spice rack.  But after visiting the spice cabinet while cooking dinner, the decision was pretty much made...spice rack!

Poor spice cabinet... so boring and unorganized...
The beginnings of something spicy...

Luckily the rack was not a weird shape or material, just old wood that needed love.  Definitely screams for color and pattern... I decided that I wanted to paint the rack but line the inside of the "shelves"...off to Hobby Lobby!

My wallet was so excited when I saw that scrapbook paper was 50% off that week...well, that takes care of the liners!  I purchased 3 pieces of a gorgeous vintage looking paper...and at 30 cents a sheet, I was super giddy!


While browsing the paint isle, I got a little daring and decided to pair this with a turquoise... now that is the color and texture my kitchen needed!  Unfortunately, Hobby Lobby did not have what I needed, so I headed to the big orange building...

After a bout of dizziness on the color wheel, I had found the perfect match... say hello to Turquoise Bay.  WOW!  It was b right!!  Snatched up a sample size... home I went.

I began by sanding and cleaning the wood.  Then, I cut the paper to the size of the shelves and the back of the rack.


I removed the paper slices and set them aside for late... I had painting to do!  I started with one coat and let that dry for about an hour.  Then , I repeated that process 2 more times.  I really wanted thick coverage. 


We refer to our house as "the cave" because it is always on the darker side.  This color was definitely breaking through the darkness!

After letting the paint dry overnight, I was ready to line the shelves.  I grabbed my trusty Modge Podge and got to work.  Precutting the pieces was a big help!


I put a nice layer directly on the wood and laid the pieces.  I used a brayer to roll smooth.  I let it dry for about 45 minutes.  I then came back and added a nice layer on the top to seal it all in.  And.....


Voila!  Snazzy, but not yet spicy...I felt like it was missing something...  as I scratched my head, a little light bulb went on... what about "feet"?  Yes, feet!  Back to Hobby Lobby... Found some sweet little finial caps and a picked up Americana in Soft Black.  Easy trip only cost me a little over $2.00.



I painted to caps with the soft black and waited about 45 minutes to dry.  I then applied each on to the corner using the always handy and trusty Gorilla Glue.  And drum roll please....



Much better!!  Next step, load up the spices...


The perfect little punch in the kitchen... and for around $6 bucks for the entire project... definitely spicy!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Almost time for classroom posts!

      Allison :)

      Delete